Welcome

issa

1st grade – wearing my 100 acre woods shirt

My name is Galadriel (yes legally, hippie parents enough said).  I was never a princess sort of girl – I hated my barbies, never loved pink (boy that has changed).   But like Christopher Robin, I did have a soft spot reserved for a certain little yellow ball of fluff.  And while Winnie the Pooh was my main man as a little girl, a new “man” would soon enter my world and change it and me forever.

When I was 6, I got the world’s worst case of pink eye.  All the white parts of both eyes turned blood red.  I was stuck in the house until I got better so I wouldn’t scare and/or infect the neighborhood kids . It was then that the new man came along.  He was everything bear wasn’t – he was mysterious, strong and I dare say dangerous. He was the bad boy to my sweet bear.  It was the summer of 75 and we were all about to be afraid to go back in the water.

While I was at home getting hourly pokes in the eye with painful medicine, the trailer for Jaws began showing up on tv.  I was transfixed every time it came on.  The theme music, the people screaming and running on the beach and… the blood.  I would stare with my mouth open at the tv and as soon as it ended I would start begging my mom to take me to see it.  And as any guilty mom would do with a sick kid, she promised when I got better she would.  A cool thing about having hippie parents is that they can be a little more hell why not without considering first things like lifetime damage from the trauma of watching a gigantic shark rip people to bits.  And although I spent many months afterwards frightened to pee (are you positive a shark can’t stick his or her head up out of the toilet?), it was worth it.  To this day, I still have a deep fondness for that big fish and for the obsession with horror he created in me that continues to this day.

Mom’s pretty lucky I turned out to be a sweet well adjusted law abiding heavily tattooed goth girl, because she was my partner in crime for all my early horror experiences.  After Jaws, she took me to see Fantasm, then it was Carrie and then Audrey Rose.  I tried to watch The Exorist with her when it was broadcast on tv, but it was so scary I mostly only “heard” it from my open bedroom door while I hid under the covers.   Thanks Mom, you rock.

I spent a lot of my childhood lost in books in the corner of my local library or laying on my bed, so it didn’t take long for my love of horror to spread from the movies to books.  Reading Jaws was even more terrifying than watching  it because now I was in in the shark’s head.   Same with Cujo – I was able to develop an understanding of what made the rabid dog tick that I couldn’t get watching the movie.  As a tween, Peter Straub’s Ghost Story was a find courtesy of the Burbank Public Library (cheers to the librarian who let me check that out without question ) and John Saul’s Suffer the Children was a bookshelf discovery at an otherwise very boring adult party my mom dragged me to.  As a teenager, Clive Barker and horror writing got more elegant, complex and sexier as bondage mixed with human failings and ego and the coolest gate keepers of hell ever.

My desire is that this site will be a gathering place for other people with a love, passion, and obsession for all things horror to meet up.  Ultimately, as the forum gets set up, I really would love to see this site become a place for writers of horror (like me) to share ideas, book suggestions, writing tips/experiences and most importantly support.  And as we go along together on this journey,  I will be sharing my writing.  I hope you’ll share yours with us too.

So to borrow from my favorite vampire, I bid thee welcome.  Looking forward to scaring with you.

Tagged , , , ,

6 thoughts on “Welcome

1. S G says:

It’s great that you have open-minded parents. I was brought up Catholic and while my dad (R.I.P.) wasn’t narrow-minded by any means, he didn’t let me watch any horror flicks till I was nine. I think it was mostly a “little kids shouldn’t watch R-rated movies” perspective. The breakthrough was when I got to watch “Prophecy” (with the mutant bear) on TMC, way back when it was Star Channel. We had some company over and my dad and his friend were having some beers, so he paid no mind. From that point forward, I indulged an unending stream of horror films the good ol’ 1980s gave us, e.g. The Howling, Humanoids From The Deep, Scanners, The Boogens, Pieces, The Shining, the original The Hills Have Eyes, and, of course, all the classic movies that George A. Romero, Dario Argento, John Carpenter and Sean Cunningham gave us. The Hammer films with Christopher Lee were awesome, too.

• Galadriel says:

I have super young parents and I think that factored into it too. They were both kinda figuring themselves out and didn’t always think like regular parents would. Like I used to watch Dirty Harry movies with my dad when I was a kid and he didn’t think anything of me watching that sort of violence. I like that your dad waited to a little longer until you could distingush between movies and reality.

I am a huge fan of The Howling and Halloween (Carpenter version) is still one of my top favorite horror movies of all time. As a kid, I basically moved from Jaws to Michael Meyers (and than came all the slasher copy films, i.e., Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street). I was really late to the game with Romero and Argento – they seem to be the kind of directors your cool older neighbor or older sibling tells you about so it took me longer to discover them without someone to guide me.

• S G says:

My dad wasn’t a fan of the genre. He was into westerns and crime drama, and you guessed it: he was a huge Clint Eastwood/Charles Bronson/John Wayne fan, and I became an Eastwood/Bronson fan early on by osmosis. He had no issues with my watching “Dirty Harry” or “Death Wish” movies (though the graphic gang rape scene in “Death Wish II” did make him yell at my sister and me: “Don’t look!”). (LOL)

My dad promptly cut one of my attempts to watch “A Clockwork Orange” because of the content. He threw in the towel during the Droogs’ scene where they’re talking in their lair and the graffiti consists of genitals chalked all over the figures on the walls.

I got my horror film news from Fangoria (back then it was good zine). By some fluke I actually got to see “Dawn Of The Dead” and that was a transcendent experience way back when.

2. S G says:

• Galadriel says:

The non-horror movies of the ’70s could be really brutually violent, even more so than the horror movies since at least you had the sense of relief with the horror movies – this could never happen in real life. I saw Saturday Night Fever as a child with my parents and basically remembered the dancing. When I watched it again as an adult, I realized how many heavy subjects (domestic violence, drugs, alcohol, suicide, rape, etc.) the movie deals with and that I shouldn’t havebeen allowed to see it. Interesting though that my childhood brain sort of dismissed everything but the music and dancing.

I didn’t see Clockwork Orange until I was in high school and I remember turning away quite a few times because it was so brutual.

I wish I had been able to read Fangoria as a kid.

• S G says:

I begged for copies of Fango but I wasn’t always as successful as my friends. One issue came out with the now-legendary cover of Jack Nicholson from “The Shining” (not ‘Heeere’s Johnny’ but another memorable one), and my mom denied me that time. All she was “That’s hideous” and she even liked Jack.

I agree re: “Saturday Night Fever.” It’s a very adult movie. As a kid, it was the dancing, the Bee Gees, and the scene with the guy barking in the diner, food falling out of his mouth.

I didn’t see “I Spit On Your Grave” until the early 90s and that movie definitely earned its reputation.